[DeTomaso] Sacrificial Zinc anode

Clark Family cclark at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jan 27 14:56:47 EST 2014

I would be very interested to see a picture or a careful weighing of a
sacrificial anode used in a car cooling system after 50k miles. For
marine applications, absolutely! But modern coolant has anti-corrosive
additives because of aluminum, brass, and iron in the coolant path.

Has anyone seen galvanic corrosion damage in a car cooling system? I
have read wankels had some that was solved by a simple ground wire.
Silica additives and not changing on recommended interval worries me more.

That Fluidyne suggests a sacrificial plug moves the needle a bit away
from snake oil. A quick search shows places selling 'voltage sponges'
and 'smart ground wires' along with anode radiator caps, really??

And it may hurt. What happens to all those active zinc or magnesium ions
put in solution? Do they precipitate and clog radiator tubes? Do they
plate on some other part of the engine? Does zinc stay in solution and
make waste coolant even worse toxic waste?

Monday musings,
Chris