[DeTomaso] Front Fender construction

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Fri Jan 24 19:10:29 EST 2014

Dear Larry,

                     You wrote:

"Too bad all the welds on the car don't look that good. When I first got my
car I told Kirk how hacked up the welds on the car are. He checked them out
and said "just normal factory welds".

                      That reminds me of a story.   Many years ago the
Dallas Pantera Club had a visit to Bob Smith's Coachworks in Gainesville,
Texas, which is best known for its Outlet Mall on the interstate.  Not many
people know that Gainesville is home to an international Ferrari (and other
makes) restorer.   Bob started at the Okmulgee, Oklahoma vocational school
and has gone on to become a judge for the Ferrari Club of America and having
award winning Pebble Beach Ferrari restorations.   He is a very interesting
guy and very forthright.

                    At his shop was a veritable museum of old and rare
street and racing Ferraris.   He guided us through the shop and gave the
history of the cars and it progress with the restoration process .  He also
gave us the estimated year that it would compete at Pebble Beach!

                    We came to an old Ferrari (I can't remember which one)
that was absolutely stripped down to the bare chassis and body being
restored for Pebble Beach.  Bob nonchalantly said that they were completely
re-doing all the crappy Ferrari welds.    "Joe is our expert welder and he
does all the welding properly.   Then we go back and cover up the good weld
with sloppy work to make it look original."  !!!!     I loved it!

                                  Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles

Larry (worse then my work) - Cleveland

  _____