[DeTomaso] Instrument panel (brighter bulbs) dash...

David Nunn dnunn at telus.net
Sun Jan 19 14:10:44 EST 2014

If you're using LED bulbs and find your gauges are a bit too bright, or you
simply feel a dimmer is necessary, it is possible to replace your OEM
dimmers with ones that work with LEDs. I'm not talking about a box that you
stuff behind the dash, that's hard to get to; I'm talking about dimmers that
are controlled by OEM style knobs mounted in the OEM locations.

http://www3.telus.net/public/danunn/Speedo%20
<http://www3.telus.net/public/danunn/Speedo%20&%20Tach%20LED%20Illumination%
20-%20final.jpg> &%20Tach%20LED%20Illumination%20-%20final.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/public/danunn/LED%20Dimmer%20-%20Installed.jpg

All you need to do is find a dimmer that you like, open it up so you can get
to the circuit board, desolder the pot and re-mount a big one that fits in
the Pantera's dashboard, via a short harness. At first I tried to do this
with Autometer's LED dimmer but it didn't work with my LED's due to its
extremely small wattage rating. I wound-up using a PWM LED dimmer kit and
mounted the PCB in a small enclosure.

http://www3.telus.net/public/danunn/LED%20Dimmer%20V2%20-a.JPG

The knob I used is made from aluminum billet and is almost exactly the same
size as the plastic, new style OEM rheostat knob. Other than the dimmer kit
( http://www.dalewheat.com/store/ ), I bought everything from Digikey.

http://www3.telus.net/public/danunn/LED%20Dimmer%20for%20Pantera.jpg

If anyone wants part numbers, etc., just e-mail me.

Dave