[DeTomaso] NPC - Andy Rooney's Tiger

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Fri Jan 17 15:02:08 EST 2014

All,

In the latest issue of Hemmings Sports and Exotic Car there is an article about Andy Rooney's (yes, that lovable curmudgeon from 60 Minutes) 1966 260-powered Tiger.

He bought it new, used it as his daily driver (Yes, in New York City) and never sold it. His daughter had it 'restored',
but sadly Andy passed prior to the restoration's completion.

Seems he rarely mentioned his Tiger ownership, but that didn't mean it was not important to him, as this 1998 quote proves:

"It's a sad fact of life that gratification is usually the death of desire. Once you have the object of desire you don't want it anymore.
For years I wanted a little sports car with lots of power. That was slow coming, too. In 1966, I finally got what I wanted, a Sunbeam
Tiger, British racing green, with a Ford V-8 engine under its bonnet. I still own it, and it weakens my theory about gratification and
desire because I like having it today as much as I did the day I bought it."

That was after 32 years of ownership, when Andy was about 79 years old.

Sounds like he was cut from a similar cloth as most of us Pantera owners.

I always liked Andy. Now, I like him more. :-)

Larry