[DeTomaso] [Detomaso]Ping Ping

richard boschert theemonkey at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 10 16:23:40 EST 2014

I have a question,has the pinging always been present when driving in the conditions you mentioned,or is it a more recent development?

If it is more recent,what has changed?Pulley swap,Quality of the fuel,aka octane,water in the fuel,distributor swapped/repaired,tune up with the wrong heat range of plugs, etc.

You can change the timing curve so that there is less advance at low rpm,but still has the total curve you want at higher rpm.This will reduce detonation,but will not be as fun to drive in the lower rpms.You can reduce compression with a thicker head gasket.

Be aware when you purchase aluminum heads of what the chamber size and volume are, as this affects compression ratio and how the flame travels.

I have a B&M 144ci roots blower on a bone stock roller 5.0 with original iron heads,cam etc with no pinging issues under any conditions with 91 octane.It is in a mustang so the load is lighter,but i have run as much as 10 lbs of boost with no detonation.With its current 5 pounds of boost my timing is all in at 2000 rpm with a total of 32 degrees.With 10 pounds i had it all in at 2800 rpm with a total of 26 degrees.

You will make more power with boost than timing,but risk of other parts breaking is higher.If you go aluminum heads i highly recommend AFR heads.The earlier 5.0's pistons are different than the later so check the year of your engine.If it is early(i believe 1986,but check with the head manufacture,you will need to notch the pistons for valve clearance)

Good luck,Richard