[DeTomaso] 8500 RPM with hydrauilic roller lifters!

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 22:30:04 EST 2014

> I would love to hear opinions (especially from the illustrious Dan Jones)
> weighing in on the Feb 2014 Car Craft article claiming the new Crane
> hydraulic roller lifters will reach 8500 RPM with SS valves, titanium
> retainers and 5/16 pushrods!

I've not seen that article. I checked for PHR on the grocery magazine
rack and while they did have the latest issue of Zombies magazine, PHR
was no where to be found.  If you can scan and forward it, I'll take a
look.  I did notice on the PHR website that Crane recently signed on
for contigency money for top place finishers in the Engine Masters
running their hydraulic roller lifters.

For many years a good friend of mine ran the fastest, highest revving,
normally aspirated, hydraulic roller, SBF foxbody Mustang.  He's moved
on to solid roller cams but you can see what it takes to turn 8800 RPM
(floating at that point) with a hydraulic roller here:

 http://www.the-arnolds.net/Cobra/

Poke around "recent updates".  In short, a tailored ramp rate cam,
solid roller springs, titanium valves, Crane hydraulic roller lifters,
etc.  Seats were taking a pounding at that point.

Dan Jones