[DeTomaso] Window does not go up!

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Feb 25 03:55:18 EST 2014

In a message dated 2/24/14 11 46 56, pcajthaml at gmail.com writes:

> The drivers side window has been struggling recently, and finally it got
> stuck in the down position.  The passenger side window is also slow, but
> works so far.  Is there some maintenance that I have overlooked to keep
> the
> windows rolling?  I am not looking forward to it, but will probably be
> taking at least one door apart next weekend.
>

>>>If your motor had suddenly failed, I would suspect the problem was
electrical (possibly the fuse, but 99% of the time it's a bad switch).   But your
description sounds like the 'normal' problem, which is that the plastic
gear gets hard and brittle and eventually shatters and jams the mechanism.

There is a little bit of information on the repair here:

http://www.panteraplace.com/page59.htm

Brass gears are available from the vendors for $35-45 each.   When you take
your old, broken, plastic gear out, it's very easy to overlook some
super-thin washers that are on the top and bottom side of the gear.   Don't forget
to switch those over!