[DeTomaso] Ferrari 308 rack update

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Feb 25 02:28:34 EST 2014

Hi guys,

After work today, I threw a pile of steering racks into my one mobile
Scirocco (which just recently became mobile again--I own eight cars, four
motorcycles, and had to borrow a car to get to work all week last week!) and drove
an hour and a bit into the mountains to visit former Pantera owner Rick
Moseley, owner of a pristene 1980 Ferrari 308 he bought from fellow Pantera guy
Gray Gregory back in 2000.

We then took a good, hard look at the situation, and the results were
really interesting.

Recall that this all started because a guy with a very late GT5 needed his
rack re-rebuilt, after the first rebuilding effort failed miserably.   He
sent it to me, and I was amazed to discover how different it was from the
racks I am accustomed to.   Turns out the very late Panteras used (apparently) a
steering rack sourced from the Ferrari Testarossa of the day (made by TRW)
rather than the early Pantera rack found on most Panteras (made by Cam Gears
UK, which was later purchased by TRW).

Here, take a look at the passenger side and compare the method of attaching
the tie rod, and the construction of the rack housing tube.   The Pantera
rack uses a left and right aluminum casting, with an aluminum tube sandwiched
in between; the TR rack uses a casting on the left side, and a steel tube
jammed into the side, which is expanded on the end to hold the nylon bushing
that promptly falls apart:

Note that the TR rack tube is too small for the Pantera clamps, so a pair
of split spacers are used to fill up the difference.

Here is a photo of the new Ferrari 308 rack with the other two racks:

You can see that the new rack is philosophically identical to the
old-school Pantera rack at the top.   The rack mounting clamps from the old rack are
also pictured (more on that in a moment).

Here is a close-up of the pinion area of the three racks.   They are all
absolutely the same:

Here is where there is a significant, valuable difference; the new rack
uses a threaded adjuster to set the preload between the pinion gear and the
rack:

We didn't cut the band clamp holding the rack boot on to examine the makeup
of the tie rod; the old rack uses all-metal construction, with a heavy
spring providing preload, and friction determined by tightening or loosening the
tie rod onto the rack, whereas the newer setup uses a plastic hoozit, and
the tie rod is just tightened until it won't turn any more.   I suspect the
latter scheme is in play with the new rack, but that is a complete guess.

We did remove the cover to verify that yes, in fact, the rack (as all
modern racks) is filled with grease, NOT gear oil as the old racks were.   Rick
was the fellow who contacted TRW to ask them what to use when he rebuilt his
rack ten years ago or so, and they were the ones who told him that they
found gear oil to be inadequate for the job, and all racks are now being made
with a very light 0-weight moly grease as the lubricant.   (He told me he
still has that e-mail and will forward it to me shortly).

So far, so good.   In all respects, it appears this Ferrari rack is a
simple bolt-in swap for the Pantera.   Ah, but things are not always as simple as
they appear.

I attempted to test-fit the 70s Pantera steering rack clamps to the Ferrari
steering rack, and was amazed to discover that it would not fit!   Although
to the naked eye there doesn't appear to be any difference in the rack
housings, in fact, there is.

You can see that there is a shouldered groove to the right of the pinion
area, where the rack clamp positively locates the rack housing.   That groove
measures 9/16 inches wide, or 14.65mm-ish, but the Ferrari rack measures
only 14mm wide.   By happenstance, since the guy in question has a Ferrari rack
in his car, his old rack ALSO measures only 14mm wide, so he will be able
to throw this new one straight into his car with no further effort.

But anybody with an early Pantera who wants to fit one of these racks will
be forced to either:

1)   Enlarge the groove by .65mm-ish to accomodate the clamp, which would
be difficult to do accurately, or

2)   Narrow the clamp by .65mm-ish, which would be much simpler to do,
particularly on a mill.

So, there you have it.   The Pantera vendors are selling brand new racks
that will bolt straight into your old Pantera, for $400 or so.   A bushing to
rebuild your old rack is only $40, and good boots can now be had for $20
each or so (but then there is a fair amount of time involved in the rebuilding
process).   Or you can buy a Ferrari rack for $214 and then modify your
mount to accept it (the passenger side mount needs no such modification).

Let me know if you've got any questions?

Cheers!