[DeTomaso] NPC: automotive journalism and manual transmissions

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 24 18:41:32 EST 2014

That BMW auto might have felt nice on a test drive, but having purchased a 2011 328i with the auto (a concession to the wife), I can tell you for a fact it SUCKS!!!!  I'm really sorry I bought this car!  I loved my 5-speed 328i that preceeded this one.  But the 2011 has not lived up to any of my expectations.  It's a beautiful car, handles great, and stops on a dime. But, it is not a pleasure to drive!  The throttle response delay in the drive by wire system is unacceptable and actually makes the car dangerous - you step on the gas to take off from a stop and nothing happens so you keep pushing the gas further, then the engine suddenly responds and the car lurches off the line - as my wife puts it, it's very "jerky" to drive. And the automatic transmission holds every gear several seconds too long, regardless of whether you're pressing the gas down to accelerate hard or just cruising at 30mph, or your in 'standard' or 'sport' mode!  And, in 'sport'
 mode, the throttle input rate is different - the same throttle input should yield the same rpm from the engine, regardless of whether in 'standard' or 'sport' mode!  Another dangerous situation as when it sport mode, applying a modest amount of gas causes the engine to respond like you've floored the accelerator - firmware updates have abated some of this issue, but not all of it.

Anyway, there's nothing the dealer can or will do about it.  It's not throwing any error codes, so there's nothing they can fix.  And they won't replace the transmission as "it's the number one complaint received about the cars," and they can't do any ECU tuning to correct these issues either.  The newer 328's and 335's now have a different transmission which doesn't seem to exhibit these issues on the loaner cars the dealer gives me when I take mine in. Sure wish I purchased the standard transmission!

This is my 2nd and likely LAST BMW. And hopefully I won't own it much longer.  Maybe it's time to find a nice used E46 M3, as I'll never by another new one.

-Garth