[DeTomaso] NPC: automotive journalism and manual transmissions

Michael Cox coxmichaelt at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 15:35:43 EST 2014

When I bought my 6 speed 2011 335is the dealer only had the
dual-clutch auto on the lot for a test drive. It was actually very nice,
I can see my next sporty-ish car having something like that and
being perfectly happy.

Since I buy new vehicles every 15 years or so, I've got time to see
how it shakes out.

I was bummed when Dan Neil's writing was not available in the
LA Times any more, I do occasionally hunt out his stuff for a
good read.

   --mike

Sean Korb said:
> I might learn to live with paddle shift.  I tried one out in a
> Maserati 7 or 8 years ago and I remember thinking "I could really get
> used to this"!
>
> But the pedal makes me feel like I'm actually operating the machenery.
>  No replacement.
>
> On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Charles McCall <charlesmccall at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Very good read - thanks for sharing!
> >
> > I understand that paddle shifting is faster. A clutch pedal will always
be
> > more entertaining. Sorry to see it dying out - I'll be signing up for my
> > wooden wheels and cable brakes....

  <snip>