[DeTomaso] Oil ( high temp operating)

Gray Gregory rgg at gregorycook.com
Mon Feb 24 08:44:05 EST 2014

Yes Mike is correct. He said even the generic house brand oils were very good and the odds of an oil related engine failure (assuming regular oil change intervals) was almost nil.

I wonder if they've done a similar study recently?

Gray

I remember several years ago when the fun rally was still in Vegas JC told me about a huge oil study they had done at Rousch. They tested every brand of oil you've ever heard of including several of the specialty racing oils and Mobil 1 15-50 came out on top.

>>>What he said was that the worst oil they tested was still very good.  Most of them were varying degrees of very good, and Mobil 1 was so far out ahead that it was like a different oil altogether.

But like Gray says, that was many years ago and I think competitors may have caught up; Castrol has a Mobil 1-style oil now, for instance, and there are other boutique oils like Red Line, Royal Purple etc. too.