[DeTomaso] Pantera Steering

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Feb 23 23:23:13 EST 2014

In a message dated 2/23/14 11 00 40, SOBill at aol.com writes:

> The only true cure for this problem is to reduce the Pantera scrub
> radius
> by moving the tire contact patch inboard with respect to the steering
> axis.
> Unfortunately, there is no simple way to do this. Installing wheels with
> greater inboard offset (which must still clear the brake mechanism) will
> move
> the tire contact patch inboard. The stock Pantera chassis is already  very
> close to the inboard edge of the tire at full steering lock. Moving the
> tire inboard a couple of inches will cause the tires to  rub before full
> steering lock and will look peculiar with the tires  recessed into the
> fender
> wells.
>

>>>This assumes that the wheel width remains constant, and the offset is
the only thing that changes.   But as you suggested, fitting a wider wheel (8
inch versus 7) with the additional width taking place on the inside only,
does have a measurable improvement.   Most (all?) Pantera vendor-sourced
Campagnolo clones feature 16, 17 or 18x8 front wheels.

Julian's car is a GT5, which has a much, much bigger problem than our early
cars.   Those cars have front wheels that are 15x10, and all the additional
width is to the outside.   The scrub radius of those things is just
unbelievable.

FWIW Pantera East's GT5 wheels in 17-inch are 17x11, with the additional
inch inboard, in an attempt to address the problem.

Mike (happy with my stock-body Pantera with 15x8 Campagnolo wheels on the
front....)