[DeTomaso] Flex-a-lite question

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Feb 23 23:23:06 EST 2014

In a message dated 2/23/14 11 06 6, fresnofinches at aol.com writes:

> I've come to the conclusion the Hall Pantera Meriah fans are getting
> tired and are not up to the task of slow traffic cooling.
>
> I say this because in Summer/Winter I now always see a large jump in temp
> when I get into city traffic versus highway travel. 20-30 degrees jump.
> Wasn't always that way.
>

>>>Assuming that your fans have 'changed' somehow defies logic.   They
either work, or don't work.   I strongly doubt that they have slowed down
measurably; if so the problem is probably relatively easy to address (corroded
connections etc.)

I would be MUCH more likely to believe that you have air introduced in the
system.   When was the last time you checked?   When was the last time you
changed your radiator cap?   Do you have a proper cap that matches the type
of water bottle you have?

> >I would rather not remount the three-pass Quella/Ron Francis radiator for
> sucker fans, so I'm looking at pushers.
>
> Felx-a-lite offers model 440 as a pusher. 2500 cfm, S-blades, etc.
>
> But I noted the online-available PDF installation sheet groups the 440
> pusher and the 420 puller in the same section.
>
>>>Mechanically they are the same; the only difference is the construction
of the fan blades.   You can't use a pusher fan in a puller application and
expect optimal performance.   There will be some measurable degradation due
to spinning a pusher blade backwards.

> >It instructs the 420 puller to be wired red/red and black/black, fan to
> power source. And to reverse the wiring to red/black and black/red for the
> 440 pusher model.
>
>>>Right--the motor is going to turn in the opposite direction for a pusher
vs. puller application, which requires the motor to be hooked up
'backwards'.

They could have chosen to design the fan blades to do their respective jobs
with the motor turning in the same direction, just as easily.   But they
didn't.

> >This tells me the fan blades are expected to perform whether rotating CW
> or CCW. But I've always heard blades are
> optimal for one direction only, and show reduced efficiency when rotating
> opposite to the intended function.

> >I will try to talk with a Flex-a-lite tech about this on Monday, but in
> the meantime I'm asking for any of your ideas, thoughts and suggestions.

pusher application at any time.   It will block a substantial percentage of the
surface area of the radiator from seeing airflow.   The net result is like
fitting a radiator that is 20-30% smaller than what you have now.

That's cubic dumbness.

If you really want one of these deals, install it in a sucker application.
 Those work well except they restrict airflow at much higher speeds.
Johnny Woods saw overheating in his car with that kind of setup at triple-digit
speeds because air would stagnate on the back side of the radiator and
couldn't escape.   In typical Johnny Woods fashion, he fabricated a series of
one-way flaps that would open up when pressure dictated, yet suck closed when
the fans were providing vacuum, and that cured the problem.

Seriously though--if you have Meriah fans, you have some of the best fans
you can buy.   Look elsewhere for your problem first.