[DeTomaso] Ferrari 308 rack works perfectly!

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Feb 23 23:22:20 EST 2014

In a message dated 2/23/14 13 51 34, julian_kift at hotmail.com writes:

> Let me know when you have a comparison as I'll get one or two of those
> racks if they fit.
>

>>>Here's the short answer:

SCORE!

I was running around all day today and didn't get home until after dark, so
it's too late to take photos.   But I unpacked the new Ferrari 308 rack and
compared it to both the GT5 rack (which is really a Ferrari Testarossa
rack) and a 1970s Pantera rack I had on-hand.

They are dimensionally exactly the same in all notable regards.   The two
Pantera-sourced racks have 3 1/4 turns lock-to-lock while the new rack has
ever so slightly less (perhaps 1/16th of a turn), which either means it has
ever so slightly less throw, or a slightly faster ratio (I'd guess the
former).   Movement seemed to be the same lateral distance for a given rotation of
the pinion shaft.

The rack mounting dimensions appear to be the same, although I will
test-fit Pantera mounting brackets on the Ferrari rack tomorrow when I take photos.
  I did test-fit a Pantera tie rod end onto the Ferrari tie rod and it fit
perfectly.

One notable improvement lies in the area of adjusting the interface between
the rack and pinion gears.   On the Pantera, this is done with a fairly
barbaric method, involving removing a cover and then adding or subtracting
incredibly thin shims.   On the new rack, there is a more conventional adjuster,
a threaded adjuster with a locknut, offering infinite adjustment capability
to compensate for wear.

Country of origin is not indicated anywhere, so I would have to assume that
it is made in China or Taiwan.   Whether or not that's a bad thing is a
matter of individual perspective, I suppose.

If you have a stock rack that has blown-out boots and needs a bushing,
you're looking at $80-100 in parts, plus your own labor to repair it.   Some may
be able to justify that instead of $214 for a rack that's brand new from
end-to-end; others maybe not.

More details/photos to follow tomorrow (hopefully) or Wednesday....