[DeTomaso] Oil ( high temp operating)

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Feb 22 21:48:01 EST 2014

In a message dated 2/22/14 18 32 52, ehpantera at yahoo.com writes:

> I've noticed that Mobil 1 Racing Oil  0-50W is being promoted as being
> able to withstand temps in excess of 500 degrees.  If true it might a benefit
> for those who have oil temp problems.
>
> Does anyone have any feedback regarding this product?
>

>>>Just that in general, if you are going to be driving really hard on a
racetrack and can't control oil temperatures via some sort of cooling device,
then the fallback plan is to use the absolute best oil you can get.   This
is totally unnecessary for street driving, where plain dinosaur oil does a
fine job (or at least as fine as it can now that the government has made the
manufacturers remove much of what makes oil slippery, due to the desire to
preserve the life of catalytic converters....)

I use Mobil 1 in the track Miata (which will grow an oil cooler this week)
because it has a fairly small sump.   My Cobra and GT350 both have oil
coolers already, and have historically lived on normal (non-synthetic) oil, as
has the Pantera, although that may change.   I'd like to have an oil cooler in
the Pantera but haven't gotten around to implementing one yet; physical
limitations of the Pantera structure will dictate the use of a water-to-oil
heat exchanger rather than an air-to-oil oil cooler.   I've got the thing all
ready to go--all I need to do is plumb and install it.