[DeTomaso] Pantera Steering Rack Interchange Ferrari 308

thomas thomas at hax.se
Sat Feb 22 18:45:33 EST 2014

> 22 feb 2014 kl. 23:46 skrev B Hower <b.hower3400 at yahoo.com>:
>
> By any chance does the tires have ware from before rack repair, is it possible they are aiding the poor handling?

No, the front tires doesn't seem to wear at all. The car has the same tires in the front as when I bought it in March 2000. I have replaced the rears once and they are pretty worn now again.

I will replace all of them now, but I don't expect any improvement in the tram lining problem.

Thomas

-------------- next part --------------
   By any chance does the tires have ware from before rack repair, is it
   possible they are aiding the poor handling?

   No, the front tires doesn't seem to wear at all. The car has the same
   tires in the front as when I bought it in March 2000. I have replaced
   the rears once and they are pretty worn now again.

   I will replace all of them now, but I don't expect any improvement in
   the tram lining problem.

   Thomas

   Bud #3400 ( Drive it like there is no tomorrow -- for there may not be
   ! )

   I rebuilt the rack in #9321 (1984 GT5) using a brass bushing that Mike
   supplied, and I believe it is the later rack.
   Later I removed some of the thin shims to reduce steering wheel play.
   I have Marino's offset poly bushings and it is still a white knuckle
   ride with the 285-40/15 Yokohama AVS-1 tires.
   I don't think this can be fixed with a new rack alone.
   Thomas
   > 22 feb 2014 kl. 08:13 skrev [7]MikeLDrew at aol.com:
   >
   >  In a message dated 2/21/14 21 43 19, [8]julian_kift at hotmail.com
   writes:

   >    As you know I have replaced just about everything on the steering
   >    end of my GT5 in an effort to try and make it an enjoyable drive,
   >    alas it is still a white knuckle ride tram lining the slightest
   rut
   >    in the road and darting when one changes lanes over the center
   >    crest. The rack was rebuilt at some point by someone who was heavy
   >    handed with vice grips and I have never been happy with it, so my
   >    last ditch effort is to just change out the rack for a new one.
   >    Mine being an early GT5 where Alejandro was still using up
   leftover
   >    Ford parts has the same rack as my '74, so I'd be keen to know if
   >    what you have in the box there fits. That said I'm intrigued that
   >    later GT5's had a different rack, are they dimensionally the same
   or
   >    does the later rack alter (improve) the steering geometry?

   >  housing tube is a smaller diameter, and there are crude spacers that
   >  wrap around the outside of it to make up the difference between the
   >  small tube and the larger opening in the Pantera rack housing
   clamps.
   >  Here is what arrived at my house for me to repair, plucked from the
   >  GT5:

   [9]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Testarossa-TRW-Steering-Rack-/121278
   970