[DeTomaso] BRAKE Line Flare

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sat Feb 22 17:04:44 EST 2014

Mfgrs use different line sizes on most masters to keep casual mechanics from mixing up the front & rear brake lines. In many masters, the front pistons are larger as is the reservoir, and the pressures & volume in front are meant to be different. The fittings both are (or should be) standard sizes; if this isn't the case, I'd call Hall and ask what fittings are needed. Of take the assembly to a fitting store and try some of their stock. The correct fittings should NOT need wrenches to screw in.

Double flairs are only needed on high pressure tubing made as a sheet wrapped around a rod and brazed to make a tube. This was once known as 'Bundy-weld' and was the way brake lines were made in the U.S. starting in the early '40s. Not sure if mfgrs still use it in this century. Look closely at a cleaned bundyweld-tube and you'll see a faint copper colored line along the length.This braze line will crack if NOT doubled, while for instance, stainless tubing is nearly impossible to double-flair without cracking; the folded radius seems too tight for the harder metal and it work-hardens & splits crosswise. Bundyweld splits lengthwise.

Stock Pantera brake lines are metric size tubing and use ISO bubble-flairs. Needs a whole different failring tool (sold by K & E). Cutting off the bubble ends and trying to flair with a U.S tool, you'll probably find the metric tubing is slightly too small to be firmly held in the tool and it slides through when you apply flairing pressure. Wrapping the tubing with brass shim stock in the clamp area allows a U.S tool to hold and form U.S flairs (including double) on the metric tubing. And if you haven't messed with Pantera brake lines before, after changing ANYTHING, I would start the car and STAND on the brake pedal to try and break any weak joints under max load. Better in your garage than in heavy 80-mph traffic on the freeway! Good luck, Sean- J Deryke