[DeTomaso] Pantera Steering Rack Interchange Ferrari 308

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Feb 22 02:13:45 EST 2014

In a message dated 2/21/14 21 43 19, julian_kift at hotmail.com writes:

> As you know I have replaced just about everything on the steering end of
> my GT5 in an effort to try and make it an enjoyable drive, alas it is still
> a white knuckle ride tram lining the slightest rut in the road and darting
> when one changes lanes over the center crest. The rack was rebuilt at some
> point by someone who was heavy handed with vice grips and I have never
> been happy with it, so my last ditch effort is to just change out the rack for
> a new one.
> Mine being an early GT5 where Alejandro was still using up leftover Ford
> parts has the same rack as my '74, so I'd be keen to know if what you have
> in the box there fits. That said I'm intrigued that later GT5's had a
> different rack, are they dimensionally the same or does the later rack alter
> (improve) the steering geometry?
>

>>>The later rack appears to be dimensionally the same.   The rack housing
tube is a smaller diameter, and there are crude spacers that wrap around the
outside of it to make up the difference between the small tube and the
larger opening in the Pantera rack housing clamps.

Here is what arrived at my house for me to repair, plucked from the GT5:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Testarossa-TRW-Steering-Rack-/121278970012

At least, I'm 99.9% certain it's the same.   The tie rods are completely
different from an early Pantera rack, the rack is different, the housing is
different, although the boot on the driver's side seems largely the same (the
passenger side is very different.   You can see the tube is much smaller in
diameter as well.

But functionally it seems to be identical.   As I said, I'm going to fully
compare the worn-out GT5 rack, a standard Pantera rack that I keep on hand
as a visual aid, and the new early 308 rack I just bought, and we will see
wot's wot.

BTW Rick Moseley's 1980 308 uses a later-style rack I believe, with a
different housing with the mounting clamps cast integral with the housing.   But
internally it is the same as the Pantera rack, needs the same bronze bushing
for a quality repair, etc. etc.   Rick is the one who contacted TRW (the
outfit that purchased Cam Gears UK, the original maker of the Pantera and
Ferrari racks) and asked what to use as a lubricant; they told him in no
uncertain terms that gear oil was no longer in vogue and 0-weight grease was the
lube of choice.   The GT5/Testa Rossa rack comes filled with this grease, as
did the TRW racks that some vendors were selling a few years ago, and also
the ones that Roland was selling.   I have no doubt the new rack we just
bought will have grease as well.

(As an aside, I just replaced the worn-out rack on one of my VW Sciroccos
today.   The new rack came from the German manufacturer filled with grease
too).

Rick and I worked together with the fellow you saw on the F-chat forum, who
has an early 308 GT4 Dino and had a blown-out rack.   Some thief had
charged him over $1000 to 'repair' his rack; he threw a home-made nylong bushing
inside, bludgeoned some later-style tie rods onto the rack, and overtightened
them to the point where they were bound up solid.   The poor guy got the
rack installed in his car with some difficulty, but the car was virtually
undriveable.   He managed to get it to an alignment shop and they literally
couldn't turn the tie rods to set the toe, so they sent him home.

With much long-distance hand-holding, he took the rack apart, dumped the
new parts, got three (!) Pantera rack bushings from three different Pantera
vendors, chose the one we told him to choose in the first place, and put his
rack back together using his original tie rods.   The result was perfection
and he was quite pleased, not only with the results, but with himself for
having taken on the challenge and prevailing.

He has been trying to sell one of his three rack bushings on E-bay for
quite some time now, with no takers; oddly, the other one sold almost instantly?