[DeTomaso] Strange electrical issue - is it time for a new starter?

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Tue Feb 18 23:37:49 EST 2014

My understanding is that "it started OK" is not a test for whether you are doing the best thing.

Again, my understanding is that any time which transpires that the battery is not fully charged leads to sulfate deposition on the plates.  So while it may start after 2 wks or whatever the battery will die sooner if not on a good tender because over the years those sulfates build up slowly until the battery is kaputt.

I have read that a battery will lose up to 1% of its charge per day even if it is not attached to anything. So at 2 wks you are 14% down and the plates are collecting sulfate.

I keep the batteries in my collector cars on Tenders all the time when I am not driving them and they last about 10 years.

Jim