[DeTomaso] Strange electrical issue - is it time for a new starter?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Feb 17 16:13:54 EST 2014

In a message dated 2/17/14 12 08 33, pcajthaml at gmail.com writes:

> So far, after turning off the battery disconnect switch and then back on,
> the starter kicks over as when new.  Should I replace the starter before I
> get stuck somewhere?
>

>>>No.   Your starter is working fine.   The most obvious suggestion is to
check all your connections--at the battery, starter solenoid, and the
starter itself.

Assuming they are all good, the problem is almost assuredly within your
disconnect switch.   You don't mention which kind you have? Broadly, there are
two types.   One has a post that the battery cable clamps to, a clamp to
attach it to the battery, and a knob (usually green) that you unscrew to
electrically separate the two halves.   These things are pretty effective, but
also extremely cheap.   I would imagine (guess) that overtightening can break
things.

The other kind is a proper switch, with two posts (one for the cable in,
another for a cable out) and a keyed switch in between.   These seem to be
more robust.

As an experiment, remove the switch from your system and evaluate
performance.   It's likely that things will function just perfectly.   At that point
you get to decide whether you want to service the switch (could there be a
buildup of corrosion), replace it, or just do away with it entirely.

FWIW I have key-type switches on two cars, and a knob-type switch on a
third one--all of them have worked great for years, although the knob-style
switch is rarely disconnected so it hasn't had a chance to wear out yet.

Let us know what you find out!