[DeTomaso] Something other than tires - Twin Turbo Pantera on Ebay

Jerry Knotts knottsj at galstar.com
Sat Feb 15 17:32:52 EST 2014

The carb sits atop a horizontally split plenum with a pressure flap on
the split partition.   The upper part of the plenum releases the fuel
air mix from under the carb and sends it to the  input side of the
turbos.  After going through the pressurization in the turbo it is
returned to the underside of the slit on the plenum where it enters the
intake manifold.   When the turbo pressure is great enough to overide
the natural suction under the carb the flap on the horizontal plenum
closes allowing the turbos to make pressure above atmosphere. When the
turbos are not engaged the intake mixture goes through the flap area
effectively by passing the turbos.  I do have one of the setups that I
am replacing with a hat unit.  The intake seems to work pretty well
except for when it backfires.  Best case the explosion blows the plenum
flap shut slowing the intake burn.

I don't know who came up with this idea but it seems to be used without
blow-off valves or pressure reliefs but at pressures 10 lbs or below.

Have had one for years and am still confused.

jerry knotts