[DeTomaso] clutch question

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Tue Feb 11 16:03:36 EST 2014

You likely have a sticky piston for whatever reason- varnish, a machining defect etc. Varnish will build up on any surface and its VERY difficult to bore a close- diameter 3" deep blind hole! But believe it or not, there is such a thing as grease for brakes! It's made by Lucas and others and is recommended to be used in brake and clutch master and slave assemblies as well as caliper pistons during rebuilds. A 2 oz tube from almost any auto parts store will last you a lifetime; mine from an old Kragens is a good 20 years old. While you're doing the greasing, check for a rusted-in-half internal return spring.

Don't even want to speculate on what the drip is from. Clutch slave cylinders are very simple hydraulic assemblies that are only asked to hold about 250 psi in operation, so the seals are not very robust. First try the grease- at $3 or so, its about the cheapest potential fix you have had! My best guess- J Deryke