[DeTomaso] Hall Ultra Wheels

Dave dave at damardirect.com
Mon Feb 10 19:25:10 EST 2014

Dan,
Well said.
IndyDave

From: thells [mailto:thells at earthlink.net]
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2014 6:30 PM
To: Peter Cajthaml; Dave
Cc: MikeLDrew at aol.com; detomaso at poca.com; jderyke at aol.com
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Hall Ultra Wheels

Peter,

I have a '72 GT-5 conversion that was done by Gary Hall, and it came with a set of 17" 3 piece Ultra wheels. They're a later style with a center like a stock Campy but have the same fake knock-off spinners. When I removed the wheels to rebuild the rear suspension I saw that both wheels had several visible cracks in them, I took the fronts off for inspection and they were both cracked as well. All of the cracks were on the inner wheel hoop, there were none visible in the outside hoop.

Some of the cracks are in the flange where the bolts go through, some were in the wheel hoop itself in random patterns either parallel to the wheel direction or perpendicular out to the tire bead edge. Bottom line, the wheels were completely unsafe and have been replaced with a set of 18" & 17" GT-5 replicas from Wilkinson. After researching the Hall wheels it appears the inner hoops were improperly designed, the flange where the bolts go through is far too thin, and the hoops themselves appear to have been too thin as well.

The wheels you have may be a somewhat different design, but I think its likely you may have cracking issues at some point and it could happen at an inopportune time.

Dan