[DeTomaso] Hall Ultra Wheels

Dave dave at damardirect.com
Mon Feb 10 18:59:33 EST 2014

Peter

If a wheel came apart, the tire could shred, the aluminum wheel ripped to pieces and in the process either shredded tire or wheel can tear out the wheel well/body work and could tear up the ZF case (damage maybe 10-20 times the cost of a replacement wheel). You have to ask yourself how lucky do you feel each time you go for a drive.

None of my cracked wheels showed cracks from the outside rim. The wheel has three pieces, outer rim, center, and inner rim.

I would strongly suggest you visually inspect the inside of the wheels:

1.    Remove the wheels from the car.

2.    Use rags and brake cleaner to completely remove the dirt and grime from the inside of the wheel.

3.    Carefully look for cracks. Sometimes the crack will trap the dirt or grime, making it easy to see.

4.    A crack can look like a fine scratch or wide enough to see from five feet away, after using the brake cleaner.

I honestly think the Hall wheels, like mine, are unsafe at any speed and should be retired. When I had my issue, several members chimed in about problems they had or others had experienced. Several pleaded with me to not sell the remaining wheels to anyone!  If you find no cracks today that does not mean you won't have a catastrophe later. My safety is worth more than a set of wheels. Remember we are talking specifically about the Hall wheels.

You can remove the tires from the wheels and have the wheels Magnafluxed
Magnaflux® Magnetic Particle Inspection Equipment
Whether you are testing a small bolt, a large turbine rotor or anything in between, Magnaflux offers a complete selection of high-quality magnetic particle inspection (MPI) equipment for every application.
Value-engineered and manufactured to meet government and industry specifications, Magnaflux MPI equipment offers many advantages:

Here is a three minute video showing how it works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQoB7jpxSe8
The other option is X-ray. Either option will cost money. Personally, I would put the money on a replacement set of wheels.

Every wheel at Indy, before a tire is mounted, has a manufacturer's X-ray of that particular wheel showing the serial number on the x-ray.
The wheels also go through the Magnaflux inspection. X-ray will show below surface voids and hair-line separations.

None of the above will guarantee or insure your wheels will not crack.

Dave; what do you mean by "my wheels were not tracked"?
My wheels were not subjected to racing (tracked/racetrack)

I hope this helps.
IndyDave