[DeTomaso] 1977 Camel GT Pantera

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Feb 9 16:34:21 EST 2014

In a message dated 2/9/14 7 12 16, cengles at cox.net writes:

>                              Well, I am confused.   I thought that it
> might be Hugh Kleinpeter’s car.    That I can believe, but I am very confused
> that it is in Japan.   The last thing I recall about the HK Pantera was that
> it was in a horrible state of disrepair plus fire damage.   The owner was
> trying to sell it for an irrationally high  price and had been for some
> time.
>
>                              Is the rest of the story:  Someone in Japan
> actually bought the pathetic remains of the HK Pantera and is allegedly
> restoring it?
>

>>>Yup, 'tis (apparently) true....I heard that happened quite a few years
ago?

I haven't seen/heard of the car since it left the USA.

After Hugh Kleinpeter stopped racing on the east coast in the late 1970s,
the car was sold to So-Cal POCA member and racer Vic Manuelli.   He raced it
occasionally in So-Cal events through 1984.   I believe it was then badly
wrecked, and the guts were used to create a complete tube-frame chassis race
Pantera.   Having said that, looking at the photo of that car (inside back
cover of the Hall Pantera catalog from back in the day), that one is left-hand
drive.   So perhaps Vic started over with a different Pantera?

Les Gray was there and could tell us, I'm sure.