[DeTomaso] NPC - buying a Ferrari

Scott Carpenter scscottc at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 19:26:36 EST 2014

That's funny... My wife suggested I buy my first Ferrari (a 308) ten years
ago because I talked too seriously about buying a sport bike.  Now I have a
308 and a 360 sharing the garage with the Pantera. The Ferrari's do cost
more for the parts but I would imagine I have spent about the same on the
Pantera as each Ferrari over the years.  To be fair on the Pantera I am
including the cost of new wheels and tires and a full repaint as well as
other repairs.

Other than the required belt changes on the Ferraris I haven't had any real
problems with them.  The 308 had a leaking fuel pump that I actually
replaced myself. The 360 did need tie rods and engine & transmission mounts
right after I bought it... That was pricey, but the only other issue I have
run into on the 360 is a emissions related check engine light that keeps
popping up. (Very common on 360s, especially mine being a 1999)  I have a
good Independent Service guy who is helping me to fix it...

My running tally on the Ferraris is as follows:

1985 Ferrari 308 Purchased: 3/27/04 Repairs to date: $16,478
1999 Ferrari 360 Purchase: 5/6/10   Repairs to date: $13,740

I need to tally up all the Pantera reciepts but I would imagine I am at
least looking at $10-14K and I took ownership around 2001.

I love all three and wouldn't hesitate to take any of them on an extended
drive.  Unless it is really hot.. then I am probably going to take the 360
as it has the best A/C :-)