[DeTomaso] Protecting the inside of frame rails and area behind doors, and material for firewall

Stephen Nelson steve at snclocks.com
Fri Feb 7 10:31:48 EST 2014

I know all these topics have been brought up before, so perhaps it will be
easy to tell a newbie like me the best products for several areas.

What should I use to protect the inside of the frame rails and how is it
applied?

I note there is a lovely little cavity/trough between /behind the sheet
metal that holds the door striker and the outer fender.  A classic place to
accumulate dirt and rust.  I figure it should be filled so dirt and water
can’t accumulate.  My assumption is I should build up a good layer of
plastic undercoating to eliminate a catchment basin.  Or, use hard foam to
build a sloped cover and then coat with undercoating?

And, lastly, what is best to replace the sound proving on the engine-side of
the firewall?

OK, one more.  I noted on disassembly that the removable panels in front of
the rear tires did not extend all the way to the inner fenders – leaving a
gap as wide as ¾ of an inch between the rubber and the fender.  Is this
common?  I figure to make an extension out of sheet metal that will allow
the rubber seal to seat against the inner fender.

As always, I really appreciate all you guy’s and gal’s comments.

Stephen Nelson

SNClocks.com <http://www.snclocks.com/>

Click here to join one of our mailing lists Contact
<http://fs19.formsite.com/kagforms/form675003155/index.html>  Lists

Click here for our new
<http://www.snclocks.com/TheRestofourWorld/Hammered-Dulcimers/About-Steves-D
ulcimers/19824807_4sHGgj#1558377542_LKmkrT7> Hammered Dulcimers galleries

Click here for my new blog <http://www.perfectoldman.com/>  on finding
happiness in retirement