[DeTomaso] Aluminium intake manifold treatment

mark skwarek ehpantera at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 6 23:15:13 EST 2014

Asa,
You would mask off the areas you don't want coated.
Check out:  http://swaintech.com/

Mark

On Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:55 PM, Asa Jay Laughton <asajay at asajay.com> wrote:

How about ceramic coating the intake?
What about the heads?  Could a cylinder head be ceramic coated and
    then machined for all the stuff to go on?  Interesting idea?

Asa  Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
& Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA
****************************** http://www.racingagainstautism.com/ http://www.teampanteraracing.com/ http://facebook.com/racingagainstautism

On 2/6/2014 6:17 AM, cengles at cox.net wrote:
 Dear Bjoern and Forum,

>             I am currently sanding and polishing up an aluminum intake manifold.   In short order, I will take it Jet Hot and have it coated with high polish aluminized ceramic coating.  Good news: it won't stain.  Easy to shine up.  More resistant to scratches and dings.    Bad news: Cost is $215  (full pro polishing is $600, locally) and final appearance depends on how smooth the metal finish is going into the coating process.  FWIW.
>

>                              Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles
>

>On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 6:01 AM, Andy May wrote:
>
>> Hi Mike, I could imagine that with the temparature most intake manifolds
>> get up to, life would get very smelly spraying with WD40. Surely better to
>> use a more stable fix like NU Cast previously mentioned?
>>
>> I use WD40 for the ZF, and that seems to work well on that.
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>> Andy
>> On Feb 6, 2014 9:29 AM, mailto:MikeLDrew at aol.com wrote:
>>

>> > In a message dated 2/5/14 21 04 52, bflesland at gmail.com writes:
>> >

>> > What is the best way to refurbish an aluminium air intake manifold?
>> > It has some dark stains due to age and yellowing because of previous fuel
>> > leaks.
>> > Is media blasting a good solution?
>> > What type of media?
>> > Should it be clear coated or treated in any way afterwards to make the
>> > fresh appearance last longer? Thanks!

>> > same.  When I was at Lloyd Butfoy's shop helping to rebuild my spare ZF, he
>> > had be blast the cases with a light abrasive compound (it wasn't sand, it
>> > was a slightly abrasive media, maybe walnut shells?).  He sprayed the whole
>> > thing down with a very liberal coating of WD40 and then wiped it down.  He
>> > said the WD40 fills the pores, gives it a very nice finish, and makes it
>> > very easy to clean if it gets greasy.  Just wipe it down, and if you use an
>> > aggressive cleaner (a degreaser for instance), when you're done you just
>> > shoot it with WD40 again.
>> >
>> > Mike

>No virus found in this message.
        02/05/14