[DeTomaso] Kirby's engine details

Kirby Schrader kirby.schrader at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 17:24:10 EST 2014

Dan,

Here is what I sent you some time ago… July 23rd, last year, to be exact.

The new engine was built with a bunch of parts I supplied to Keith Craft and is an all iron 393ci:

Block - SVO Ford Racing iron 9.2" M-6010-M351 (I stuck with 9.2 so my IR intake and headers would fit)
Crankshaft - Eagle 435638506000 4340, 3.85" stroke
Rods - Eagle ESP 6.000/2.10
Pistons - Diamond 4.030"
Bearings - Federal Mogul
Rings - Mahle
Camshaft - Comp Cams solid roller (details in camshaft card attached)
Lifters - Comp Cams solid roller
Other - Comp Cams Gold rockers, Comp Cams pushrods, Pioneer damper (engine is internally balanced) Melling oil pump, Edelbrock water pump, etc. etc.
Heads are stock 4V Cleveland iron. Crack tested, valves and seats surfaced… usual. I already had a lot of money in them, so I stuck with them.
Compression ratio is 9.8:1 since Keith Craft told me 10.5 these days was giving them problems on pump gas. So I listened for a change.

IR EFI and the dyno run was done with open GTS headers.

Actually, I just remembered… The last dyno run at 544HP is actually online.
http://www.spacecitypanteras.com/Movies/393enginedyno544.mov

That’s Mike Trusty talking in the background claiming he told me it’d make 550.
:-)

FWIW,
Kirby

PS: The dyno scan didn’t go through… too big.
Neither did the cam sheet!
You can see the dyno scan here at the bottom of the page.
http://www.spacecitypanteras.com/kirbyschrader/Pantera/index.html

The cam spec sheet is here.
http://www.spacecitypanteras.com/kirbyschrader/Pantera/Cam%20Spec%20Sheet.pdf