[DeTomaso] FLUIDYNE RADIATOR STORY

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 08:46:52 EST 2014

I know I should let this thread quiet down but I remembered something
today with head gasket failures.  On my just broken in 351W (375ci
stroked motor) with Edelbrock aluminum heads, ARP studs and Isky cam,
I had a ton of power.  I went to the dyno and t seemed to run fine but
I only got 275HP at the wheels.  Very strange.  I took it home and the
drive back seemed uneventful and I still felt like I had a lot of
torque.

Well, I had oil in my radiator so I took the heads off.  It turned out
that at peak power the heads were lifting and gasses, oil and coolant
was getting past my Victor Reinz head gaskets.

I had never retorqued my heads.

So I replaced the gaskets, torqued my heads down and now it works great.

So it *is* possible for a head gasket leak to heal itself, but it
won't last long.

sean