[DeTomaso] Shifting

Forest Goodhart forestg at att.net
Tue Feb 4 19:49:16 EST 2014

I have a theory as to what is happening. I believe that the piston in the master cylinder is not fully returning when the clutch is engaged thus blocking the fluid make up port. If there is no make up available the slight leakage past the seal causes a shorter stroke each time. This happened to my car years ago when the spring in the master that helps return the piston broke. I have experience with another car where the seal was tight enough in the bore that the piston did not fully return. Disassembly and a liberal dose of a brake seal lubricant resolved the problem, at least for the time. I do not know if the fix was permanent or not but Chuck Melton could chime in and let us know since it was his car.