[DeTomaso] Shifting

Peter Cajthaml pcajthaml at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 14:23:15 EST 2014

Following up on this question from last week, as I also have problems
shifting into reverse AFTER the car has been driven for ~ 30 minutes (is
well warmed up).  I have had the problem since I owned the car, and would
really like to fix it this year.

It will always go into reverse when the engine is off, so turning off the
engine, shifting into reverse is how I have been getting around the
problem. Shifting into all other gears is smooth, whether going up or down.

I replaced a bad clutch slave cylinder about 5 years ago with the stock OEM
unit.  I recently saw that an upgraded stainless steel slave is available -
would that improve the situation?  If not, how do I adjust the clutch so it
disengages completely when hot?  I plan to change the fluid and bleed the
system again, but have done so many times before without an improvement.

thanks for your advice,

Peter
coincidentally, Jay Leone, who posted the original question, was the first
owner of #2761,  I bought it from him in  ~2006 (i think). Hello Jay! I am
finally getting around to changing the tires :)
------

<<more difficult in reverse before other gears.  I don't know why.  >>

Will, Reverse does not have a synchronizer, (synchro). Its job is to bring
the gear you are going into, to the matching speed so that the gear does not
grind. When a clutch is dragging a bit you over work the synchros to prevent
gear grinding. I think ZF synchros cost more then I make in a year.

Larry (shifty) - Cleveland

  _____