[DeTomaso] Pantera hood fit

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Feb 1 04:24:42 EST 2014

In a message dated 1/31/14 9 20 25, gbmilnar at gmail.com writes:

> My hood has too much arch in the longitudinal center.
> How common is this and is there a fix.
> It might only be about 3/8" high but it bugs me.
>

>>>This is normally caused by people loading too much stuff in the front
trunk, then forcing it closed.   It is possible to un-bend it, but it's not a
job for the faint of heart.   It is comparatively to uniformly distort it
from the inside, as has been done to your car (I'm not blaming you since I
presume you didn't do it yourself?)   But undoing that damage is a far more
difficult undertaking.

It's not a job for a normal accident repair bodyshop.   Depending on the
extent of the damage, it would take somebody really skilled in metalwork, i.e.
a custom hot-rod fabrication shop or high-end restoration shop, and it
would likely be fairly expensive if it has to be stripped and painted again.
It's entirely possible that such skilled peopl would know how to 'work' the
metal in a sympathetic way and would be able to bend it back into proper
shape without damaging the paint, which would be a very worthwhile enterprise if
it could be done.

If it has to be stripped and beaten back into shape, a better alternative
might be to replace it with a good, used hood, as at least a few people have
'upgraded' to various fiberglass (faux carbon fiber) hoods.

While it's possible to buy a new hood from De Tomaso, recent experience of
others has shown that the quality is pretty awful, as they are being built
by people who literally have never even seen a Pantera before.   A lurker on
this forum has had nightmare issues trying to get one sorted out, and in the
end I think he is going to repair his rust-ravaged bu perfect-fitting
original hood instead.

Good luck!