[DeTomaso] Techno Question: Shift Linkage U joints

doug351c doug351c at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 13:31:38 EST 2014

Chuck,

I had VERY GOOD RESULTS with the following treatment:

Punch Mark the u-joints and shafts so you can reassemble them the way they
were.
Remove the u-joints from their shafts.
Clean the u-joints with Braklean.
Apply pentrating oil once a day for 3 days.
Re-clean with Braklean.

This lossened them up but they got even better after this last step that
will make your wife cringe.  BTW, have a fire extinguisher handy.

After subjecting them to the regimen above, put the joints in a small pan of
Mobil 1 0W/30; just enough to completely cover the joints.  Place the pan on
one of your range's burners and turn on the overhead vent hood.  Heat the
oil until it either begins to smoke or boil (mine lightly smoked and then
began to boil).  Then turn off the heat and get out of the kitchen before
you wife catches you!   Let it cool overnight and when you take them out of
the oil, the slow cool will have caused oil to remain in the jont.

If you happen to have a hotplate, doing this outdoors makes even more sense.

I did this to my u-joints about 15 years ago and they're still working very
free.

PS: This is a trick that one of our more knowledgeable forum members, Jeff
Kimball, taught me.

Doug Braun
blue 73L #5505