[DeTomaso] 1974 DETOMASO PANTERA GTS ORIGINAL, UNRESTORED PROTOTYPE - $85000

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Dec 18 15:47:03 EST 2014

In a message dated 12/18/14 9 55 52, michael at michaelshortt.com writes:

> IMHO Opinion...Puffery.
> I have no idea why one would prototype
> a trim package that had been made for years.
>
>>>Well, this car is certainly unusual.   Calling it a 'prototype' is more
than a bit of a stretch.   My understanding is that it is a special-order
car built for a Ford exec.   As such, it is a odd hybrid between the USA and
Euro models.   It has the Euro interior (upholstered in leather or vinyl,
can't really tell, and alcantara or velour apparently), but the USA bumpers.
It has USA gauges and switches but a Euro GTS steering wheel.

> >GTS models were made in Europe

> in previous years, it is true that US GTS models
> were only made in 1974. 150 of them in total.
>
>>>The first part is not true--a considerable percentage of the US-market
GTS Panteras were made in 1973, and those sold in California were apparently
titled as 1973 cars to get around more onorous 1974 smog restrictions.
It's often mistakingly said that only 98 US-market GTS Panteras were made; that
fails to account for the 52 1973 models (California cars).

All US-market GTS Panteras wore standard wheels (7- and 8-inch).   Note
that the flares are painted black on this car, which is another Kustom touch.

> >This would be 1 of 60 made in silver/black
> (if the serial tag confirms it is a GTS)
> There are also 6O black cherry/burgandy and Black
> and 30 in Yellow/Gold and Black.
>
>>>Given this car's Italo-American hybrid status, it seems quite likely
that this was not one of the 150 GTS Panteras, but rather a one-off custom car
that wore a conventional VIN.   Simply looking at the VIN and body service
number will reveal all.