[DeTomaso] Hot Start Issue

Mikael mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
Tue Dec 16 15:01:38 EST 2014

Difficulty starting when hot only is due to a combination of bad wiring
(usually ground, experienced it myself) and too advanced ignition. Vapor
lock would leave the engine running freely and not ignite.

A hi-torque starter can sometimes solve this situation, but is compensating
for a problem instead of correcting it.

And if you're in a situation where the engine will hardly turn when hot due
to it working against the too early ignition, you can always start it and
get out of that embarrassing moment by pressing the accelerator all the way
down. Tthis clears the fuel after a second or two, and no more fuel is drawn
since the vacuum is gone. So no resistance from the too early ignition. When
the starter then gets the engine up to normal cranking speed, release the
throttle slowly and it will start. No need for an ignition cut switch.

Mvh/Regards
Mikael