[DeTomaso] Steering *column* wobble

Tom Shinrock tmshinro at aol.com
Sun Dec 14 22:48:27 EST 2014

 My steering shaft clips had the plastic "nubs" worn off when I got my car.  I went to a hobby store and bought some brass sheet stock in the appropriate thickness to make a shim to fill up the space between the sliding shafts.  This eliminated the steering slop and presumably also retains the collapsible function of the shafts.

I also had some looseness in the U joint that attaches to the rack pinion shaft.  Simply tightening the pinch bolt took care of that problem.

Tom
5186