[DeTomaso] Steering *column* wobble

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Dec 14 17:34:46 EST 2014

In a message dated 12/14/14 11 35 15, grayjim at cox.net writes:

> Not exactly wheel wobble............... but my steering column always
> feels
> like it has some up & down play and wants to rattle at times.  I've had
> the
> column down several times for different projects and I've checked the
> tightness of the 4 bolts that hold the column up and they are quite tight.
>
> Any suggestions to make the column more stable?
>

>>>You betcha!

See attached article I wrote some years back, which addresses all of your
concerns. :>)

Unfortunately the steering shaft clips are no longer available from
Wilkinson.   Perhaps if enough people asked for them, he would put them back into
production?

It's worth noting that the technique I used of bolting the male and female
slider pieces together, has since proven to be pretty ineffective on my car.
  Mine needs to be addressed again, and I will probably remove the assembly
from the car and then smash it back into proper shape with a 60 ton press
(20 ton isn't nearly strong enough), which is Wilkinson's technique.   Might
put a small tack weld here and there too while I'm at it....