[DeTomaso] FW: 72 Pantera pre-L SOLD at Mecum Kansas City

chris bupp whatcop at msn.com
Sun Dec 14 11:49:40 EST 2014

My wife and I were at the KC auction to bid on another car (we were not looking for a second Pantera....).  The winning Pantera bidder (at $49K) was standing near us, so we later introduced ourselves, etc.   He invited us to his garage yesterday to look at his purchase, etc.    He is very happy to learn of all the Pantera support structure out there, and he WILL be joining POCA.

His car paint is pretty good, and it has steel fender flares.    Engine appears to be a heavily modified Cleveland with aluminum heads, lumpy cam, and IR EFI with programming CD.    New owner says the car will easily break tires loose at will.   We had talked to the seller about an hour before the auction, and he said it is about 500 hp, allegedly, at the rear wheels.

Seller also says the ZF seems pretty good, though it is harder than it should be to shift into 2nd without noise.  I recommended that for ALL shifts, make sure to push the clutch in all the way, to save synchros.    From what the owner says and my questioning, the clutch is working fine, disengaging all the way.   Reverse and the other gears are accessed easily.

Owner says he may be able to make the Houston event.

Chris Bupp
#06588   74L