[DeTomaso] LPC: Radar in the rain

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Sat Dec 13 16:24:04 EST 2014

Tomas wrote -

I know that the camera boxes use radar but does anyone use
manually operated radar anymore? I thought they had all changed to laser guns.

-----

Here in CA, the CHP uses radar (Ka band) and laser.

As I understand it, laser must be from a stationary position and very close to a straight (not from an angle) shot at the target.
I've seen them hiding on highway overpasses to get that position.

Radar now all appears to be instant-on, though some officers drive with it always on.
Radar is not as picky about the aim of the signal, and works just fine from a moving vehicle.

With my Valentine, I find that as long as there is an ahead-of-me-rabbit to motivate a Chipie to hit his instant-on, the scatter from that radar burst
will trip my detector up to over two miles ahead.

Same benefit from a radar sitiuated behind you, and with the Valentine you'll know the direction to look.

Headed up the 101 years ago to a PCNC meeting, moving at a 'brisk' rate, the rear arrows lit up with plenty of time
to slow down and thus frustrate the CHP motorcycle officer who paced in my RH blind spot for several miles until he finally gave up
and moved ahead of me.

Cat and mouse at its finest. :-)

YMMV

Larry - "Why no, officer, I don't know why you pulled me over, Perhaps you thought I had some donuts?"