[DeTomaso] 3M spray-on paint protector

Brian Dudley bd8134 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 12:48:42 EST 2014

I used it on my wife's Fiesta ST, I used the regular clear-bra on my
regular and previous cars.
Using their wax on the car before applying the spray protector, helps when
it is time to remove it, so they say.
Application is not easy. Too thick and it runs, too thin and the effect is
very bumpy.
I think they say not to recoat after it has dried.
Drying time is slow so keeping dust down is important, I would not
recommend applying outside.
Do not try to get runs or dust out of the coating while it is still wet.
It can often make that error worse than if you had just left it.
There are issues with getting the car wet before the covering is fully
cured, it will spot.

It is not intended as a long term finish, it has been on my wife's car for
about a year.
None had lifted but the finish became more noticeable after a while.
Lately during cold wet weather it turns "milky" and is very noticeable on a
black car.
We have peeled the hood off, not too bad to do, the bumper cover and
mirrors still to do.
The mirrors are not coming off too well.

We did have 3m clear-bra on a WRX for ~10 years and that was terrible to
get off.
Heatgun and many hours of cleanup required.
It only looked good for 2-3 years, stone impacts even if they had not
damaged the paint, penetrated the covering, it also yellowed and eventually
got wrinkles and looked awful.
On my Focus ST, which has 3M clear-bra for about 1 1/2 years, I do have
stone and bug marks embedded in the film, the hood line is very visible,
starting to yellow, I think I might try the spray protector over the
complete hood in the summer.

Using the spray is a lot cheaper and works if you are prepared to keep
reapplying it.
It also enables you to apply to complete panels limiting lines.
My wife does not drive many highway miles but I have not noticed any stone
chips.
Overall not delighted with either solution, for me, maybe spray is the
winner.