[DeTomaso] Engine Inlet Temperature Test Results

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Tue Dec 9 15:09:38 EST 2014

FWIW, there are no known no wind tunnel studies on a Pantera beyond the rudimentary one Ford did in 1971, I proposed we run a set when the cheaper-to-run tunnel opened in N Carolina a decade ago. I even laid out a series of tests we could do in one day, although I'm 2000 miles away from the site, with a sick wife. There was much enthusiasm on the Forum, some money was pledged and lots of people wanted the data once someone else did the work. But no one stepped up to actually do it, the date was lost and it didn't happen. No one else has ever even proposed this.

From guesses and examining photos of dust trails at dry lakes & salt spray at Bonneville, the Pantera seems to dump 'some' hot air from the radiator out the wheelwells with 'more' going under the car; amounts of each unknown. The huge low-pressure area generated by our sugar-scoop decklid probably influences that under-car flow all the way up front, especially if the car has side-skirts like Mad Dawg used in SS runs. So I'm not surprised that considerable hot air is being ingested by the carb.

Quite a few Bonneville runners found over the years that adding air scoops to feed the engine compartment works better if the feeds are NOT connected to the carb(s). One successful record holder said, 'hooking scoops to the intakes messed up the carbs' fuel metering. We went faster when there was a big gap between the scoop inlets and the carb intakes'. I guess this means they made more power from cool air than from 'ram-air supercharging with cool air', EFI effects? Dunno- more guesses. Too bad about the wind tunnel runs