[DeTomaso] Air to engine discussion

jgkrenton at comcast.net jgkrenton at comcast.net
Tue Dec 9 13:14:19 EST 2014

All:

Sort of related....

A couple of weeks ago I was trying to test a "4 inch venturi" for an old airplane. (These devices are supposed to generate 4 inches of vacuum at speeds greater than 60 MPH for instrumentation systems in the airplane.) I figured I'd clamp it to the passengers window on my truck. (true, not a Pantera, but I only needed 60 MPH.) The venturi mounted about 4 inches off the passengers side window.

The first test showed absolutely no vacuum.

I finally figured out I needed to hold the venturi almost 18 inches off the side of the truck to get clean enough air for the venturi to work properly. (4 inches vacuum at 60 MPH)

While this isn't a pitot tube or a Pantera it is somewhat illustrative of the air disturbance around a vehicle in motion.

For what it's worth, a pitot tube is relatively simple to make. If you look at vintage airplanes their pitot systems are very simple, often just a pair of 1/8 inch ID tubes (aka something like a steel brake line) sticking out into what should be clear air. One tube with an open end for the "ram effect" and the other tube with a closed end an holes drilled in the sides for the "static" or "reference" air. This would be pretty simple to cobble up so you could set it at various distances from the side vent area of a Pantera to check the depth of the boundary layer. (look for different pressures as the distance changes given a fixed ground speed.)

Good luck.

Jeff/2467