[DeTomaso] Weber's or IR Stack EFI for high HP applications

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 19:45:31 EST 2014

> Dan thought that Weber's wouldn't supply enough fuel to reach the maximum
HP potential.

That's not exactly what Dan said.  48 mm diameter IDA Webers will supply
the fuel, they will just become restrictive on air flow at greather than
500 HP.  48 mm is approximately 1.89 inches.  Your A3 cylinder heads have
intake valves that are 2.19" in diameter.  Area goes up with the square of
diameter so there is no way the carbs are going to flow as well as the
cylinder head intake ports.  Shelby ran 48 mm IDA Webers on the 289 Cobras
which used an intake valve approxiamtely the same size (1.875 inches in
diameter) as the Webers.  For the 427 side oiler engines, Ford cast up a
special run of 58 mm (2.28 inches) Webers.  Vizard's testing (on his 350
SBC pick up truck engine) indicated that a suitably sized single four
barrel carb made better power above 480 to 500 HP than 48 mm IDA Webers.
He ran the Webers because they made better average power (better low and
mid range power) and returned 18 MPG in the truck.

> When I approached Jim Inglese about a set of Webers he was adamant that
was complete BS, quoting numerous race cars running well north of 600HP
using 48IDA Weber carbs with no issues

And NASCAR uses 390 CFM Holley barrel carbs as restrictors in some of their
classes (Truck and Southwest Tour).  With larger carbs, the engines would
make a bunch more power and those 390 carbs are seriously re-worked.  My
engine builder's carb guy gets around $5000 for a Holley "390" CFM race
carb (which are legal to the specs but flow more like 600 CFM at 20.3
inches of water, the truck carbs have looser rules and flow more like 750
CFM).

The point is not will 48 mm IDA Webers support 600 HP, the point is how
much power do they give up on a 600 HP engine?

Dan Jones