[DeTomaso] New engine

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Dec 5 12:31:58 EST 2014

In a message dated 12/4/14 20 52 32, npdrs at maui.net writes:

> thanks for the really helpful reply full of information!
>
> OK, understand your points on the airflow in the intake area, so will for
> now just settle with the regular air-cleaner without air box and ducts; any
> suggestions on setup that works well; was looking into those
> "flow-control" drop-down housings?
>
>>>I seem to remember reading tests in magazines where they evaluated those
mesh intake manifold tops, and found they actually HURT performance, by
disrupting the airflow or something?   They concluded a conventional round air
cleaner with a solid lid was the preferred setup.   You want a drop base,
but you need to keep in mind that you need to have clearance above the top of
the carb for the air to flow into it, so your air cleaner can't be too
short.   You don't need an enormous amount of room though; I think something
surprisingly little like 1/2 inch was thought to be enough?   Dan will probably
have a much better idea there however.

> >I got a tall single plane intake plus 1inch carburetor spacer and there
> is no screen on the car as I bought it, so there is no problem with space
> there, but am worried of interface with the deck-lid in case the filter is
> dropped down a lot.
>
>>>I don't think you'll have a problem.   In fact your big problem will be
visibility, as you are setting yourself up to have very restricted vision to
the rear with your carb/air cleaner sitting too high for comfort.   You
might want to rethink the spacer.   It's a convenient place to put a takeoff
for your power brake vacuum, but you may find it better to drill/tap a hole in
the intake instead.   That one inch may give you a tiny change in
horsepower (that is, it may move your torque curve up or down a few hundred rpm) but
will probably be far more trouble than it's worth in terms of making the car
unpleasant to drive.   I drove a Pantera with a really tall intake setup
from London to Modena and back, and it was quite unnerving not being able to
see ANYTHING out the rear view mirror, and instead having to rely solely on
the side mirrors.

> >Thanks for your suggestion on Pat Michal headers; I spoke to him today
> and he has a set that would also bolt directly on my Yates heads, so this
> will be best way to go.
> For stock look and good performance Pat suggested using actual Ansa
> mufflers/pipes, but gutting them inside and replacing the front tube with 3inch
> one that would mate to his headers.
> How could I tell if my Ansa mufflers are the ones with larger tips and no
> resonator?
>
>>>Uh...you would look at them? :>)

99% of the pipes out there were made with resonators; only recent
production versions have done away with them.   Attached is a photo of the
current-production ANSA GTS muffler.   Note that the inside of the tip is perfectly
smooth (as opposed to those with a resonator, which is filled with tiny
holes).

Given the high cost of buying new mufflers ($1500 or so!), and given that
you are already talking about whacking the front pipe off and replacing it,
it seems to me the logical thing to do would be to just buy four replacement
tips that have a larger inside diameter.   It's easy enough to find them
with no resonator inside either, if that's what you prefer.   (I like how the
resonator knocks the harshness from the exhaust note).

>In order to help financing this whole project I am looking into selling
extra components that I got:

{snip}

> Please if someone could help me with advice on reasonable prices I could
> ask for those parts; they are all located in Munich, Germany.
>
>>>There is a thriving community of Pantera owners in the Munich area, and
most of them are totally nuts.   They are always building crazy engines like
yours, so I'm sure there will be interest in buying these parts that you've
already imported for them.   I've passed the info on to them and hopefully
you'll hear something soon!