[DeTomaso] New engine

Jeff Detrich jjdetrich at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 12:21:12 EST 2014

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 11:35 AM, Mike Drew via DeTomaso <detomaso at poca.com>
wrote:

> The ones that look good don't stick out far enough into
>    the airflow to do anything.  The ones that really work, look a bit
>    goofy, but they really DO work!

A technical nitpick?

I would expect that the smaller elephant ears that don't stick out very far
would work slightly better than an unducted set-up. Reason: the regular
engine vacuum draws in the air it needs regardless of the source and cold
air from the elephant ears is always better than the warmer air in the
engine compartment. Plus the disruption of the surface flow caused by the
vacuum would probably add some ram effect but not nearly as much as the
bigger elephant ear ducts. Has anyone actually done any testing of this?

Jeff
6559