[DeTomaso] New engine

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Dec 4 12:35:52 EST 2014

In a message dated 12/3/14 18 17 10, npdrs at maui.net writes:

> I guess there actually should be a good supply of cold
> air created by the turbulence of the roof back edge; any opinions?
>
>>>You're unlikely to see any benefit from any sort of airbox that is just
open to the rear.   That's a low-pressure zone; air flows from under the
car, up and past the motor (where it's heated) and then exits through the mesh
grille and the opening in the decklid.

If you are committed to a fresh air induction system, your only real choice
is to duct air from below the car (which Ford actually did as stock, with
the 1973-74 cars, which used a duct and flexible hose mounted behind the
passenger seat drawing air up from the ground, and feeding it to the snorkel on
the air cleaner), or from the sides.   Vendors sell 'elephant ears' which
replace the rear quarter windows.   There are (basically) two styles--the ugly
kind, and the kind that don't work.   The ones that look good don't stick
out far enough into the airflow to do anything.   The ones that really work,
look a bit goofy, but they really DO work!

As for the air cleaner, Spectre likely has something that would work for
you:

http://www.spectreperformance.com/cat/air-boxes-14-low-profile?cat=C00000012

Note that the 14-inch diameter means that it might foul your decklid,
unless your intake was so tall that the bottom of the air cleaner was above the
top of the decklid.   I do know one guy who is running one of these and he
made an air-cleaner-shaped notch in his decklid to clear it.

> >Other dilemma is the exhaust; currently I got a European GTS system; I
> could
> cut my flanges and welt flanges to fit Yates C3 heads. From looking trough
> Dan Jones tests it is clear that I should replace mufflers as Ansa once I
> got are too restrictive.
>
>>>Agreed.   It's quite possible that the restriction isn't in the mufflers
themselves, but rather the four tips.   The inside diameter of the
resonator tips is relatively tiny.   FWIW current-production Pantera ANSA GTS
mufflers have tips that are slightly larger and have no resonator, and thus
(presumably) they flow much better.   That would be a bolt-on solution which would
still knock some of the noise off, and you could sell your existing ones to
help fund the purchase (they are expensive!)

> >What would be the best option to replace Ansa mufflers; I would like to
> keep
> the stock look of four pipes angled up; this is the early, '71 car?
> Is there something already made available that would bolt onto my GTS
> headers or would I be best buying Magnaflow mufflers and replacing my Ansa
> mufflers?
>
>>>I have never seen a generic muffler setup that looked any good.   Most
mufflers are too long, and they wind up looking really goofy on a Pantera,
especially one that doesn't have a large L-model rear bumper to help hide
them.   Rich Boschert had ANSA-sized Flowmaster mufflers, but they were brutally
loud--they almost seemed like amplifiers rather than mufflers!   And they
looked terrible too.

> >Other option, should I replace everything with 180 degree system; how
> much
> power is it really worth?
>
>>>What you get is style and a different sound.   You'll never notice a
performance difference, and you will pick up weight plus enormous complexity
and hamper maintenance access.

> >Car will be combination of street and track, so it would be nice to keep
> cargo compartment in the back....
>
>>>In that case I'd forget the 180 idea.

Pat Mical has fabricated custom exhaust systems using 3-inch oval tubing,
which gets around the Pantera packaging constraints and allows for better
flow.   But you're still stuck trying to find a halfway decent muffler to
use....