[DeTomaso] New engine

Robert Stroj npdrs at maui.net
Wed Dec 3 21:16:51 EST 2014

I just got my new motor completed, it is Fontana aluminum block based motor
using Yates C3 heads.

It made 676Hp at 6500rpm and 585lb-ft torque at 5250rpm; this is corrected
data to sea level, actual figures as tested in Colorado at 8500ft altitude
ware 429Hp and 384lb-ft.
This are figures using dyno carb and open exhaust.
If someone is interested will be happy to share build details and dyno sheet
scan.

For the beginning I am planning to use Holley HP carburetor tuned for this
motor, but possibly planning to go with IR fuel injection once in the
future; new Holley Dominator ECU looks really interesting and relatively
simple to setup.

Would someone have a good suggestion for dropped base air cleaner that works
well in Pantera on a high rise single plane intake; was even thinking of
getting one of the NASCAR air-box assemblies offered cheap on e-bay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber-Cold-Air-Induction-Box-Cleaner-19-1-2-x
-4-1-4-Tall-NASCAR-/151281340538?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item233912107a&vxp=m
tr , refinishing it on outside to make it look better and turning the
opening to the rear; I guess there actually should be a good supply of cold
air created by the turbulence of the roof back edge; any opinions?

Other dilemma is the exhaust; currently I got a European GTS system; I could
cut my flanges and welt flanges to fit Yates C3 heads. From looking trough
Dan Jones tests it is clear that I should replace mufflers as Ansa once I
got are too restrictive.
What would be the best option to replace Ansa mufflers; I would like to keep
the stock look of four pipes angled up; this is the early, '71 car?
Is there something already made available that would bolt onto my GTS
headers or would I be best buying Magnaflow mufflers and replacing my Ansa
mufflers?

Other option, should I replace everything with 180 degree system; how much
power is it really worth?
Car will be combination of street and track, so it would be nice to keep
cargo compartment in the back....

Will appreciate any suggestions,

Robert