[DeTomaso] Factory Documents source (and GT4 9220 details)

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Dec 2 19:19:13 EST 2014

In a message dated 12/2/14 11 55 45, detomasoregistry at gmail.com writes:

> About a decade passes, and for some reason (marketing ???) De Tomaso
> chose to use the GT4 model name on a very small number of cars.
>
> (It would be nice if anyone with more details, Santiago, Roland, and
> others could chime in here.  Like exactly which cars were so
> built.)
>

>>>I don't know exact numbers or exact VINs, but there were quite a few
made, and it wasn't just a model name thing.   For all practical purposes, they
are nothing but GT5 Panteras fitted with Gr4 flares intead of GT5 flares
and running boards.   They were otherwise identical to the GT5, i.e. were NOT
ever intended to be track cars, or equipped with any Group 4 race
components.   The factory sales brochure shows an original publicity photo for the
1972 factory Gr4 race car, presumably because the brochure was made before the
first GT/4 street car was made.   But the actual automobiles were quite
different from that photo.

Old-timers may remember Greg Sullivan, originally from New Mexico and now
living in the Washington DC area.   His GT/4 was featured in Profiles many
years ago.

Interestingly, last time I was in Sydney, I learned the GT/4 cars produced
for the Australian market were not equipped with GT5 suspension or brakes.
While they were in other respects identical, they were fitted with standard
early-style front spindles, rear uprights/axles/bearings, and brakes,
complete with solid rotors.   The Aussie importer then replaced the stock solid
front discs with vented rotors from some (unknown) Australian car, much the
way US owners could fit 1965-67 Mustang vented rotors.   I would assume they
were from a performance Aussie Ford but have no way of knowing the
specifics.