[DeTomaso] Factory Documents source (and GT4 9220 details)

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Tue Dec 2 16:16:55 EST 2014

Well after the sixteen known Pantera racers were built and homologated, the factory built two GT-4 "Stradales". #6609 (circa '73 chassis) went to Saudi Arabia and # 9041 (circa 1977-78 chassis) went to Japan, according to P. Olczyck's DeTomaso book. The GT-4s were originally supposed to be a sort-of streetable version of the pure-race GR-4, but all known GT-4s raced as hard and as often in international competition as the GR-4s; in some cases, more so and had identical build details.

The Stradale name is used in Italy for high-performance cars supposed to be streetable-racers but almost nothing is known of the two DeTomasos mentioned. In the original 1994 Roster, #6609 is listed as being in Sweden in the '80s while the one in Japan disappeared. So it's entirely possible the factory did build a third example- in the early '80s from the mentioned serial# of 9220. S/n 9221 is shown in that same Registry as a 1983 GT-5 while s/n 9222 is listed as a 1982 GT-5. There are no known photos, build specs or any other details of any DeTomaso Stradales- making them about as rare an example of the marque as possible! I'd sure like some photos!

J DeRyke